Saturday, May 31, 2008

Wide Open Spaces - Palmer

The following (except my comments between in italics) are excerpts from Jim Palmer’s book, Wide Open Spaces (Thomas Nelson, 2007). Definitely worth reading.

There was a time when I would have said that only twice had someone been born with a perfect min, never to repeat itself again: the first being Adam and the last, Jesus of Nazareth. Now I see that Adam and Jesus are meant to represent two choices. Adam set into motion the process that corrupted the mind, and we all see where that led and what that looks like. But Jesus cam and initiated a new way. Jesus demonstrated a new kind of human, a God-kind of human, a human being rewired with the neural pathways of Truth. Jesus was offering the possibility of a new way when he said, “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (John 8:32).

We’ve all seen the unsettling antidrug commercials, “This is your brain on drugs,” showing teens doing something destructive to themselves or others while high. Adam’s message is, “This is your brain on lies.” A look back through human history reveals the destructive things the “brain on lies” has led us to do to others and ourselves. Jesus is born into the world and says, “This is a brain on truth.” Then he demonstrates what it looks like with his life.
(68-69)

The cross of Jesus Christ was meant to drive the following message into the heart of humankind: God loves you and you are forgiven. We know this is our heads, but it still doesn’t change us. Why? Because knowing about it isn’t enough. The love and forgiveness of God has to get inside of us; we must deeply internalize the love and forgiveness of God in order for there to be any true change. This is one reason “Christ in us” is our hope; the experience of God’s love and forgiveness become real inside through Christ.
(73)

I used to think the key for living the Christian life was transferring what I knew up in my head down to my heart. Now I see it’s the reverse: getting what has been deposited into my heart up into my head. The Spirit of Christ inside tells me I am forgiven, loved, and a precious child of God. I’ve got to allow this truth to transform and renew my mind. God’s love progressively sets me free to function with the mind of Christ.
(74)

Jesus taught that metanoia (repent) was necessary for entering the kingdom of God. In fact, Jesus said, “The kingdom of God is within you” (Luke 17:21). In other words, the kingdom of God is God and everything that derives from him – life, love, joy, peace, grace, goodness, compassion, and freedom. When you repent – change your mind and switch over to the Christ operating system – you become aware of those spiritual realities inside you as well. As you experience these within you, they progressively become what you are in the world, and the kingdom of God becomes a reality “on earth as it is in heaven” (Matthew 6:10).
(75)

There’s this river. For years I walked its banks and from time to time I would go to the edge and peer into the water to see a reflection of myself. A stupid, ugly, worthless little kid looked back at me and I walked away from the water hurting inside. That useless kid was never going to invent, imagine, heal, explore, create, or inspire. I said to myself, “Yes, I am stupid, ugly, and worthless.”

One day Christ took my hand and led me back to the water’s edge. He said, Look, Jim. I gazed into the water and surprisingly saw someone different: a magnificent, loved, accepted, and powerful man. I said to myself, “This can’t be me.” Then suddenly I realized I was not looking into that same old river. I was now looking into the eyes of God and seeing a reflection of myself in the pupil of his eye. The reflection was the “me” God was seeing in his mind.

At some point you’ve just got to grow up and become who you really are. It’s not a matter of figuring out “what would Jesus do?” but living your identity in and as Christ. Now I know the truth. I have become crazy enough to think I can change the world. What’s stopping me? I’ve been reprogrammed as Christ. That rebel from Nazareth is now me.
(77-78)

I also enjoyed Palmer’s insights into how his perspectives are changing. Consider the following statements. Compare the pairs. Which is true for you?

God is up in the sky.
God dwells within me.

I go to church to meet with God.
God’s presence is inside of me.

Christianity is me trying to be like Christ.
Christianity is Christ’s life in and as me.

The benefit of knowing God is the love, joy, and peace God brings into the circumstances of my life.
God inside me is my love, joy, and peace.

Pastors, leaders, teachers guide, teach and train me.
The indwelling Spirit is my primary teacher.

Changing my behavior is the goal.
A new mind and heart is what God provides.

People are as they appear in their physical human identity.
What’s most true about a person is his or her invisible spiritual identity.

The kingdom of God will one day come down onto earth.
The kingdom of God exists now within me.

(adapted from pages 81-82)

One other list of comparison statements for you to consider. Which holds true for you? As you read, do not allow the world’s definition of love (self-centered, based on feelings alone) to hinder you from wrestling with these statements. See love defined as how God has defined it – most clearly seen in the gift and sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

God is synonymous with religion.
God is synonymous with love.

Christianity is a belief system.
Christianity is a school of love carried out in apprenticeship to Christ.

God hates sin because it disgusts him.
God’s motive for hating sin is love. Sin causes hurt and suffering for me and others.

I primarily experience God through religious rituals and acts of obedience.
When I am experiencing love, I am experiencing God.

Christian living is trying harder to be more and do more.
Christian living is an overflow of God’s love in me.

My source of love is outside myself and I’m dependent on others to supply it.
My source of love is within me, and while I enjoy the love of others, I’m not dependent on it and can freely love others without expectation of receiving love in return.

I am created in God’s image, which means I have the capacity to make rational choices and exercise my free will.
I am created in the image of perfect love, which means love is the core of my identity and I can choose love.

The main thing is getting people to adopt my beliefs about God.
Loving people creates desire within them to know God.

Somewhere out there is God’s purpose for my life, and I must find it.
At every moment, God’s purpose for me is to be love.

Being “in love” is some temporary euphoric guy-meets-girl experience.
Being “in love” is walking in the conscious awareness of and being dependent on God’s love in me and as me.

Tough love is withholding love from others as a means of disapproval or attempt to bring change.
Tough love is loving others without condition, regardless of the result.

The most powerful force on earth is hate.
The most powerful force on earth is love.
(adapted from pages 181-183)

1 comment:

Bryan Allain said...

Chip,

Not sure if you're a sports fan or not, but Jim Palmer has just joined the roster of writers at my sports/faith site Prayers For Blowouts. check it out if you get a chance...

Good job with the blog, keep it up!

Bryan
prayersforblowouts.com