Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Running: Why?

We spent the bulk of our vacation in Nags Head, North Carolina – a city in the Outer Banks.

We ate. We slept (kinda – John is an early riser). We ate some more. We sat on the beach. We mini-golfed. We then ate again. We read. We watched NBA games. We surfed the internet. We then had to eat again. It was good. It was relaxing. It was fun to see a bunch of Alisa’s family. John had a ball.

Due to the consistent eating, I faced a dilemma. I depend on morning basketball for my exercise. That option no longer existed so I did something I am not so fond of. I ran. Yep, no ball, no real chance to “win”, but just me and a sidewalk, and my new mp3 player loaded with all my favorite songs.

Every time I run, I ask myself the same question, “Why are you doing this?” The question usually becomes most clear about 2 miles into the run when my breathing is labored, my legs ache, and I am generally not happy about this decision. Why run? There is no easy answer to this question, especially mid-way through the run. But my perspective changes when I’m done. It is a much easier question to answer AFTER the run is over. My body is recovering. I’m sweating a lot. I feel great. The run is behind me. “I made it!”

It is so interesting to evaluate my thought process from the beginning of the run to the end. The first mile, I’m looking around, enjoying the sights, feeling good. The second mile, I begin to ask the prominent question discussed above. The third and fourth miles seem to last forever. My head is down. I’m focused solely on wishing this was over. But when it’s over, I am elated. I feel alive, healthy, and glad that I did this “hard work” to experience this feeling which includes recognizing that what I just did was good for me.

No, I am not writing this so I can start a running club. My mp3 player makes the experience both bearable and somewhat anti-social. But running to Bruce Springsteen, Honeymoon Suite, and Asia sure makes the task easier.

So what, you may be asking yourself.

I’m finding following Jesus to be similar to my running experience. I am especially experiencing the 2-4 miles at this point. I’m not finding it easy. I’m not finding it very enjoyable at times. It takes discipline. It is just plain hard work. My mind often yells at me to stop and to take a break and to do what I want. And so consistently, I face that reality. Will I stop and do what I want or will I keep running – keep following – keep trying – keep serving? Sometimes I stop. Some places in my life it is all too easy to stop running. I see them and know that I need help. My natural tendency is to laziness, selfishness, and lack of discipline. I see it at home. I see it a work. I see it in the day to day opportunities I have to be involved in people’s lives. Will I keep running?

But then, everyone once in a while, I see why I run. I experience the joy of a changed life. I experience the gift of peace in the midst of struggle. I am blessed. I actually see and experience the hand of God in my life or in the life of someone else. I talked with my friend, Ken (the one in the serious car accident in Grand Rapids), on the ride home from our trip. I saw the hand of God at work in his life. He cried. I cried. He celebrated. I celebrated. He pointed to God’s grace and protection, and I was reminded (in the experience) why I need to keep running.

Just like my body is blessed when I run – my heart gets stronger, my endurance increases, my muscles become more defined – so, too, am I blessed. I am transformed. I am changed. I am becoming more of who God calls me to be. One stride at a time. One word of encouragement. One prayer. One person I seek to love. I am transformed.

Pray that we’d keep running.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-2

No comments: