Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Right Way to Do Christmas

On a lighter note, I would like to express to you my personal opinions about how Christmas should be celebrated as a family. You may wonder at my qualifications for such an article. I do not claim to have any except the fact that I am from Minnesota, which has the closest weather patterns to the North Pole than any of the other state in the continental United States. I know, I’m not acknowledging Alaska’s weather, and it is just my prerogative to do that.

1. Christmas cookies are a must, but they have to taste good. No matter how creative or decorative or fancy they look, if they do not taste good, it is a mistake to include them.

2. Presents should be opened on Christmas Eve. Why? Because I’ve always done it that way.

3. Gifts that are not surprises do not need to be wrapped. Why wrap a present if you know what it is already?

4. And on that related note, what happened to buying gifts that are surprises? We’ve seemed to make Christmas gift giving into a transaction. I tell you what I want. You go get it for me. I thank you for it and I’m kind enough to do the same for you. There is no freedom for creativity. And sometimes people are even militant at both demanding your list and pouting if they don’t get what they told you to give them. I know that input from each other is helpful, but it should be seen as input not non-negotiable demands.

5. All children should have to do the dishes from the Christmas Eve dinner BEFORE presents are opened. Why? Because that’s what I had to do. Nothing better than watching anxious, distracted children hurrying to get the dishes done handling your fine china and stemware.

6. Children should not be taunted, teased, or threatened about Christmas gifts. “If you don’t eat those peas, you won’t get to open your presents.” “Santa may not come tonight if you keep whining.” I know there is power in the gifts, but it shouldn’t be used to manipulate kids to certain actions or behaviors. Is Santa really not going to come? Are you really going to keep them from opening presents when everyone else is?

7. Do a lot of listening and observing at Christmas. Give a lot of hugs. Say a lot of affirming things to one another. Express love. Be thankful. Let God lead this time together. Don’t get your expectations so high that there is no way they can be met. Maybe it won’t go exactly as you have planned, but maybe that’s the way it ought to go.

One final tip which holds true not only for Christmas but for Thanksgiving, too. In fact, it holds true all the time. Be the one to serve. Don’t expect to be served. Do the dishes. Offer your help wherever needed. Seek to serve the people you are with. Don’t allow the temptation to selfishness get the best of you. Serve the people you love.

Finally, you may disagree with my opinions (which is foolishness). I am not interested in hearing about it. I have shared with you the "right" way to do Christmas. Any detour from this path is the "wrong" way. How do I know you ask? Because I've always done it this way. There is no greater argument than that.

No comments: