Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Challenge of Vision

Vision is all about the future and seeking to have the future be what you hope it to be. Every NFL football team right now is seeking to realize their vision of the Super Bowl. Almost all parents have some vision for their children whether it be President of the United States, college graduate, professional athlete, follower of Christ, not in jail, or countless other hopes and dreams that parents have for their children.

Everyone has vision. Everyone has a preferred future. But the challenge comes in knowing how and making the effort to help make your vision a reality.

Millions of people have envisioned a “thinner me” but yet due to little or no effort or a lack of motivation or unexpected events in life, these visions have not be realized.

What vision do you have for your future? Stop a moment and think about this. You may even want to write it down. (Ex. a healthier body, a new job, a vacation overseas, children who love Jesus, a growing marriage, a new boat, etc.)

What are you doing today to help make your vision a reality? What steps are you taking? What are you doing? What are you giving up?

Before we go any further, let’s stop for a minute and look at your vision – your preferred future. I have no trouble coming up with all sorts of visions. My list is long. But let’s stop and evaluate our list on the following question:

Is the vision I listed from God or from me? Is it my vision or God’s vision?

This is an important question. You may not be able to answer it for your entire list, but it is worth asking and it is worth seeking God’s direction if the answer is unclear. The only vision worth pursuing in this life, worth investing time and energy into, is God’s.

I think there are a couple key factors that help determine if it is God’s vision or my own.

1. Is the vision supported in Scripture? Is it something God would want to see happen?

2. If the vision is realized will it help others or just me?
Even small changes and growth in ourselves benefits those around us.
Way too many of my “visions” only benefit me. I doubt they are from God.

3. Can I accomplish the vision without God’s help?
Does God really ever call us to anything without Him?

4. Has my vision been supported and grounded in prayer?
Have you spent time asking for God’s direction in these areas?

5. Have others helped me in answering the first four questions or I am doing this on my own?
Not only can you get helpful feedback, but also support and accountability is helping to realize the vision.

No comments: