Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Can't We All Just Get Along?

I think Rodney King coined the phrase. It is a legitimate question, especially as it pertains to fellow followers of Jesus Christ.

I went on one of those internet odysseys the other day. I was searching for information about Dr. Paul Eshleman, our speaker today, and I found myself entering into some very frustrating material – having nothing to do with Dr. Eshleman, except it began with a very critical review of the JESUS film.

Having some idea of the overwhelmingly positive impact the JESUS film has had on reaching many people for Christ, I was surprised to find this review, so I dug deeper. I was sad that I did.

I am choosing intentionally not to name names. Much of the information I found did name names. I found a number of websites which claimed to have the inside track on Christianity, but did so by calling all sorts of other evangelical Christians (many of whom are familiar names to us all) heretics – even questioning whether or not these “so called” Christians will make it to heaven.

I was initially furious and tempted to email the authors of these web sites and challenge them on their poor behavior. But then I started to get sad – really sad. I was reminded about the behavior of some who call themselves Christians and how detrimental it is to what we exist for. We don’t exist to fight with each other. Our purpose is not to question, critique, judge, and even condemn each other. Our purpose is love.

Now what I’ve just said is a dangerous thing to say, because it leaves room for some very unhealthy and unbiblical behavior. We don’t just accept anyone and everyone’s teaching on the Bible and their behaviors (those who call themselves Christians). There is a huge difference between love and acceptance. There is truth and there is untruth. There are true prophets and there are false prophets. We have to use a discerning mind and often the counsel of others (especially Scripture) as we seek to discern truth from untruth.

But our purpose is not to focus our attention on each other. Our purpose is to focus our attention on loving the people of this world as we live in God’s love. I am amazed at how much time and energy is devoted by those who claim to follow Jesus Christ on arguing about why they're right and others are wrong – even heretical – even evil. I was tempted to jump into the conversation. It could easily take hours crafting a letter, responding to replies, and allowing all sorts of emotional energy to be devoted at arguing with someone who claims to be a Christian.

Granted, there are times when God makes this an important part of our calling to love one another enough to rebuke, admonish and provoke, but if it takes us away from our true calling, then the people who truly suffer are the many who have not yet heard and are not yet experiencing the freedom that comes with knowing Christ.

We Christians have to learn to check our egos at the door and stop being so devoted to being right. Let’s be His. Let’s listen to what He says. But let’s do so with humility, grace, and kindness. Let’s allow the fruits of the Spirit to be reflected in our interactions with one another. Let’s cling to truth, but may that truth be Him and not some ego-driven, self-centered, anger-based need to be right by proving others wrong. That is not love. Love doesn’t mean agreement and acceptance, but it does mean patience, humility, and kindness.

We can and should “get along” because Christ is the center and He longs for His Church to be one – united in Him.

No comments: