Thursday, June 26, 2008

General Synod - RCA

General Synod is the annual Reformed Church in America denominational meeting. People from all over the United States come to discuss the business of the RCA. The meeting lasted for six days in Holland, MI, at DeVos Fieldhouse on the campus of Hope College and I was there – at least for most of it.

There were 242 delegates (those who could vote), a hundred or so corresponding delegates (those with voice but no vote), and denominational staff and guests. We hear reports, discuss, pray, and listen to a variety of people speak.

Honestly, I was not excited about going. I went in 2003 and did not have a great experience. I also was not looking forward to being away from my family. I went because it was in Holland and decided I would rather go here than to New York or Iowa. The classis was also having a hard time finding someone to go, so I went.

I’m glad I did. I can’t say every moment was pure joy. There were definitely parts of the experience that were tedious. Plus, when I first registered and was given the packet of materials, they also include a seat cushion. I did not see this as a good sign. And true to my assumption, we spent a lot of time in chairs. I could have used two seat cushions.

One of the reasons I’m glad I went was the encouragement I felt about the direction of the Reformed Church in America. They really have determined to focus in some very specific directions and are not only saying this with words but are backing it up with resources and attention. Churches are being revitalized. New churches are starting. There is a definite commitment to reaching outside of our four walls. I heard a lot of encouraging reports and participated in some stimulating discussion.

A few of the highlights:
1. Discussion about what it means to be “missional” and “Reformed” and whether or not these two are compatible.
2. Incredibly challenging and important conversation about racism with General Synod adopting in their “Our Call” a sixth component – end racism in the denomination.
3. Listening to Richard Mouw (president of Fuller Seminary) speak on the importance of being Reformed and its foundational vision of being “missional.”
4. Meeting some people from around the country.
5. Spending some time with a few friends in Holland / Grand Rapids.
6. Being reminded that Community Reformed Church is headed in the right direction in terms of reaching out to those outside of the church.

One thing I heard which I continue to wrestle with and have not determined what it means is a comment made by Denise Kingdom-Grier during a sermon she gave during morning worship. The following is a paraphrase of what I heard her say,

So often we try and reach out to people because we believe they need what we have. We give and serve because we have something to give that they need. But what we really need to do if we are to truly reach out to those in need is to do so out of our weakness and not from our strength. In essence, we ought to lead with our weakness and dependence not with some misconstrued belief that we have more to offer.

Because when we reach out in weakness, we truly connect with those in need because we are in need too.

This is a poor paraphrase of what she said, but it has challenged me. What does it mean to reach out in weakness? How do we lead with our need? I definitely don’t know the answer, but very much resonate with the idea that connections have in relationships when there is not hierarchy of need. When we present ourselves as having it all together and willing to sacrifice something we have for others, we construct barriers in relationships. We don’t have it all figured out. We don’t have it all together.

I’ll stop here. Please don’t hesitate to ask further questions if you are interested. There is a whole bunch of information about General Synod at the denominational web site: www.rca.org. I’d encourage you to read Wesley Granberg-Michaelson’s General Secretary’s address. It is worth reading.

No comments: