Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Stumbling Blocks

Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men.” Matthew 16:23

“If any of you put a stumbling block before one of these little ones who believe in me, it would be better for you if a great millstone were fastened around your neck and you were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe to the world because of stumbling blocks! Occasions for stumbling are bound to come, but woe to the one by whom the stumbling block comes!” Matthew 18:6-7

“Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother’s way.” Romans 14:13

“We put no stumbling block in anyone’s path, so that our ministry will not be discredited. Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses; in beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger; in purity, understanding, patience and kindness; in the Holy Spirit and in sincere love; in truthful speech and in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness in the right hand and in the left; through glory and dishonor, bad report and good report; genuine, yet regarded as unknown; dying, and yet we live on; beaten, and yet not killed; sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything.” 2 Corinthians 6:3-10

For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life. Psalm 56:13

As I read these texts, I am challenged by the reality that I can be a stumbling block. People can actually trip over me and be encouraged to change course (away from God) because of me.

I was raised with an understanding of faith which meant going to church. We didn’t talk about faith. We just went to church. Now please understand I am not trying to say that what my parents did was wrong, but it was a stumbling block. They weren’t intentionally trying to confuse us; they did what they knew. It’s a stumbling block to our children to teach them that faith is about attending a church service once a week. It compartmentalizes faith and gives the false impression that faith is a part of my life not the foundation of my life.

When I don’t pray out loud with my children, I’m a stumbling block.
When I don’t care for the least of these, I’m a stumbling block.
When I don’t read the Bible, I’m a stumbling block.
When I gossip in front of others I’m a stumbling block.
When I won’t do the hard work of restoring a broken relationship, I’m a stumbling block.
When I define worship based on my preferences, I’m a stumbling block.
When I see myself primarily as a victim, I’m a stumbling block.
When I won’t let people into my life, I’m a stumbling block.
When I don’t intentionally seek to make disciples, I’m a stumbling block.
When I believe God owes me, I’m a stumbling block.
When I get intoxicated, I’m a stumbling block.
When I treat employees poorly, I’m a stumbling block.
When I lie in front of others, I’m a stumbling block.
When I claim faith and live by my own power, I’m a stumbling block.
When I call Jesus Lord and spend no time with Him, I’m a stumbling block.

Do you remember in Genesis 3 what the serpent did? He gently encouraged Eve to question whether God was really trustworthy. He sought to plant a seed of doubt. “Maybe God doesn’t know what He’s talking about.” “Maybe what I think and want will be better for me.” Eve tripped. Adam tripped. They both stumbled away from God and began living a life of shame, where they actually felt the need to hide from God. (We’ve become so good at hiding now. We are experts at keeping people from knowing and seeing the truth about us.)

We have the opportunity to be like the serpent in each other’s lives. The serpent used words primarily. For us, it tends to come with our actions. Just the fact that we are too often prone to say one thing and do another has become one of the greatest stumbling blocks to people coming to faith in Jesus. They look at the followers of Jesus, feel judged and see hypocrisy, and WE trip them up on the path to Jesus.

What part are you playing in the lives of others? Does your life do more to trip people up on the path to Jesus or is your life an encouragement to keep walking toward Him?

Ask the people of your life. I’m not kidding. Ask them.

“How does my life encourage you in your walk with Jesus? How does my life get in the way?”

No comments: