Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Choose Me

All of my life I have sought to be chosen. I want to be the one picked. I remember in 4th grade being chosen by Mrs. Morrill to finish reading to the class, “Where the Red Fern Grows,” because she couldn’t do it through her tears.

I remember standing in a row on the playground wanting to be the first one chosen to be on someone’s kickball team. I remember wanting to be chosen to be the acolyte at the Episcopal Church in Fergus Falls, MN, to be the one to ‘read’ the sermon during youth Sunday.

I clearly remember the flood of emotions I experienced in 6th grade when I realized out of all the boys at Cleveland Elementary School that Elise Williams had chosen me as the boy she liked.

I like the feeling I receive being the one chosen.

I think of all the effort that has led to in my life, so that I can experience this feeling of being chosen. I want to be the one selected, hired, respected, adored, loved, etc.

I’ve studied. I’ve practiced. I’ve sacrificed. I’ve been willing to be coached. I’ve listened. I’ve tried to make people like me. I’ve sought to please and do what I thought they wanted. I’ve even tried to be someone I’m not so that they would pick me.

I bought expensive jeans. I’ve lifted weights. I’ve shared my feelings. I’ve sought counsel. I’ve ignored my conscience.

I’ve lied, exaggerated, ridiculed, judged, ignored, gossiped because I believed it would lead to people choosing me – choosing me to be their friend, boyfriend, be in their group, be cool, be funny, be who they wanted me to be.

I want to be chosen. Why? I want to be chosen because I want to believe there is something special about me. And isn’t it sad and interesting how this desire leads to competition and hoping at times that others are NOT chosen, but I am? If it means their rejection, that’s OK, as long as I’m chosen.

“You did not choose me, but I chose you . . .” Jesus says in John 15:16.

Jesus chose you. Why?

The sinful self in me wants to answer this question with, “Well, it's obvious when you look at my gifts. Jesus clearly knows what benefit it is to Him to pick me. I can really help. I can really be used. Look at all I have to offer. And, compared with so many others, I am a step above them.”

Sad, isn’t it? I want to be chosen because I want to be more special than someone else.

Jesus chose me. Why? Jesus chose you. Why?

He chose you because He loves you. He chose you because He said He would.

He chose you and me in spite of us. For compared to him, our good works are filthy rags. There is nothing in our giftedness or talents that make us more worthy of being selected. In fact, God reminds the Israelites, lest they become full of themselves, that they were/are a rebellious group who left to themselves pursue wickedness over God.

Don’t get stuck here, though. Get stuck in the fact that God chose you. You are His. He loves you. He loves you for who He created you to be. He is the source of all that is good within you.

Let me say it again. You are His. You are a treasured possession. You are one whom He longs to express love to. God chose you.

Read the rest of John 15 to find out more about the purpose for which you have been chosen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

chip,
Thanks for the words here, I know the feeling of wanting to be liked/picked well. And daily I continue to try to flesh out the reality for my life on being choosen by Him along with everyone else in the world, and that doesn't mean I am less special but live among a community a world of choosen, special humans.
Battling on these front lines alongside of you my choosen brother.
Ben