Monday, April 28, 2008

Encouragement

It is interesting how encouragement is dependent upon relationships. People encourage people. It may not always come directly in a face-to-face interaction. It may come through a note or phone call. It may come through a book from an author you’ll never meet (still person to person). It may come through someone’s presence in your life. But encouragement is relationally based. Even encouragement that comes in relationship with God comes from Him - through a relationship.

Encouragement for another most often comes out of our love for that person. More often than not in my life, my greatest encouragers are not trying to encourage me. They just naturally do it out of their love for me. When they see any good in me, they tell me. When they are blessed by something God has done through me, they tell me. They are not looking for anything in return. They aren’t looking for me to say nice things about them, too.

False encouragement exists, doesn’t it? Sometimes we puff others up because we want something in return. We don’t honestly encourage. We have a hidden agenda and are willing to stroke someone’s ego so that they are more willing to give us something in return.

What is the greatest way you can encourage another person? Think about your own experiences. Who are your greatest encouragers? What is it about how they encourage you that stands out? What is it they say that makes you feel so encouraged?

Encouragement best comes from those who know us best. Because they know us, they are best equipped to know how or what we should be encouraged about. A spouse must encourage their spouse. We all need to hear consistently and honestly how we are measuring up as a spouse. Our children need to hear consistently and honestly what is good in them, how valuable they are, and how we are proud of whom they are becoming.

We all need to hear from others we are valuable, loved, and how others are blessed to have us in their life. We NEED this. Otherwise, we wonder. Thoughts come like, “What good am I?” “What value do I bring to other people’s lives?” “Do people like having me around?”

What is the greatest way to encourage another person? First, you need to care about them. Second, you need to pray for them. Third, you need to speak the truth to them about how God is using them in your life. There’s the key. We need to express to people encouraging words when we see God at work through them in our life. Too many people wonder what good they are to God. Too many people think God isn’t, won’t, or can’t use them because they are not “good” enough or they don’t pray enough or they are “spiritual” enough. NOT TRUE.

I have a little personal file I keep. Every once in a while I receive a note of encouragement that blesses me. It isn’t words “puffing up” my ego or saying how great I am. They are filled with words of encouragement about how God is at work through me in another person’s life. The credit is not mine. The glory is not mine. But I am encouraged. I am encouraged by God and His work in me and through me. My initial response is a temptation to pride, but as I consider God’s hand at work in this person’s life, I am led to humility. It is God’s doing and not my own. What an encouragement it is that God can take a broken, sinful person like me and work for good in another’s life.

If God is using another person to help you see Him, please tell them. Encourage them.

No comments: