Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Listening to Your Life

This title comes from a devotional from Fredrick Buechner. It’s basically a collection of his quotes broken up into 365 days. It’s good, but I’m not here to discuss this.

I’m learning to listen to my life. You probably are, too.

I’m learning that God speaks through our lives. Based on the circumstances we experience and the relationships we have, God speaks. Some of what he is saying, we don’t want to hear. All of what he is saying, we really need to hear. Some of what he is saying, we don’t hear, because we stop listening to our lives OR we don’t recognize how important it is to listen.

One of the clear ways God is not speaking into our lives is when we start focusing on how others need to change. It is easy to allow our minds and focus to fall on others and how much our lives would be better if they would change. That is not what God is saying, but that doesn’t mean God isn’t speaking. In fact, with what is rumbling around our heads, God is trying to get our attention. He is trying to speak to us about us.

The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. Psalm 51:17

When He’s talking to us, He’s talking about us and Him. Sometimes, He’s helping us to see Him. Recently, this has been taking place for me as I’ve been consistently overwhelmed with God’s goodness as I reflect upon Alisa and John. But not only these two, but as I consider my past, my family, the ways God has provided for me, the difficulties He’s walked me through. . . and on and on it goes. God's goodness is clear.

I will sing of your steadfast love, O Lord, forever; with my mouth I will proclaim your faithfulness to all generations. Psalm 89:1

One of the places where God has been speaking directly to me about me is through the difficulties I’m experiencing. Whether it’s some of the personal battles I face in putting God first or living out His love in relationships, it is clear that God is speaking to me about me. He is doing it in love, but it is still hard. I am SO aware that God desires to grow me, but growth is painful and often means seeing our places of disobedience, and for me that is most evident in the places of hypocrisy in my life. I claim to follow Jesus, yet there are specific areas where I am not doing what He has commanded me to do. Trials and temptations are definitely opportunities for Satan to get our attention in unhealthy ways, but as loudly as Satan speaks in these times, God has not stopped speaking. What He says and is showing us we definitely need to hear.

My brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing. James 1:2-4


God is speaking. Are you listening to your life? Are you open to what He has to say? Are you open to what He desires to show you about Himself, about you, and about the plans He has for you today?

I know not everyone has the chance to go on sabbatical like I will in July. It truly is a gift. But every one of us has the opportunity to take sabbatical from the agendas, schedules, and to-do lists that we create for ourselves. I know that’s easier said than done, but it can be done.

Take time to listen to your life. Take time to allow God to speak into and through the experiences and circumstances you find yourself in. Take time to allow God to speak into and through the joys and difficulties you are experiencing in relationships today. Take time to let God show you who He is, who He is helping you to become, and where He will lead you in this life.

If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit them if they gain the whole world but forfeit their life? Or what will they give in return for their life? Matthew 16:24-26

Listen as God is speaking through your life.

No comments: