Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hearing the Truth

Sadly, I am defensive by nature. I tend to get angry quickly when I feel attacked and often want to attack back.

I’ve always heard that with all criticism there are nuggets of truth to glean if you can get past the pride and anger. Some are better than others at this. I have a long ways to go. I am amazed at how quickly I can rationalize and make a case for something if I feel attacked. And sadly, often the person is not attacking at all, they are just sharing the truth as they see it. I just take it personally and then all my unhealthy defense mechanisms kick in.

We have to hear the truth and be open to how the truth may be a means to help us change. If my tendency toward pleasing people hinders my obedience to God’s direction, I need to hear the truth. If my self-centeredness hurts my family, I need to hear the truth. If my pride separates me from others, I need to hear the truth – even though the truth is hard to hear. And often the truth reveals flaws in me that need some attention.

I heard some truth the other day that I am still wrestling with. I saw one of the students I had in youth group while I was in Grand Rapids. He now has a Masters of Divinity (pastor’s degree) from Fuller Seminary, worked for a year in a homeless shelter in Los Angeles, and is currently pursuing a PhD in international economic development at Colorado State. He has a huge heart for Jesus and especially for those who are suffering around the world. He has been blessed to travel and see a great deal of the world. He longs to make a difference for Jesus by caring for those who suffer.

He is very skeptical of the church. He doesn’t see a whole lot of connection between the Gospel and what the typical church in the US is doing. He sees the rampant materialism and individualism and cannot reconcile that with what the Gospel says. He also wrestles with seeing that those making the greatest impact in the fights against poverty, in micro finance, in getting clean water to those who don’t have it, in overcoming corruption and oppression, and in responding to the AIDS crises is NOT the church. In fact, he sees the church bickering amongst itself over doctrinal issues and thereby hampering its ability to respond to the needs of many around the world. He doesn’t understand why often the church needs to put its label on these activities and actually will not partner with secular organizations who are already making an impact. It has to be the “Baptist” or “RCA” or “Assemblies of God” mission organization.

How does that make you feel? Before you do what I did and start making excuses or rationalizing or defending what the church is doing, let this truth sink in. Yes, it may not be completely true. Surely there are churches and denominations on the forefront of responding to needs, but hear the truth within what he is saying. Don’t take it personally. Remove yourself from the equation. Step back and ask yourself the question, “What does God want me to hear?” “How does God want me to respond?”

Sometimes admitting there is a problem (or at least the potential that there is a problem) is the first step to seeking God’s direction in knowing what we need to hear and how we may need to change.

Let’s make this a personal question, however. Let’s not just theorize or hop on our soapboxes. Let’s hear what God may be saying to each of us personally. We are the church. When we listen, when we act, it is the church.

And if you haven’t read, Just Courage by Gary Haugen, that would be worth your time. He speaks a truth we all need to hear.

No comments: