Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Selfish = Fruitless

I spend a lot of time thinking about me. Sadly, those thoughts often revolve around how others treat me. I am pleased with those who treat me well. I am frustrated by those who don’t. Often those frustrations come through my unmet and selfish expectations.

I wonder how much time I have wasted being consumed by my selfishness – by projecting negative feelings towards others in my head. The one who is hurt most by all of this is me. (It definitely hurts others, too. I become a selfish dad, husband, and friend. I forget the "serve" part of my calling. In fact, "get" isn't a part of my calling anyway.) I become bitter. I then treat people based on what they do or do not do for me. It is ugly. It is sin. It is completely fruitless. Nothing good comes from this behavior. Nothing good comes from my selfishness, yet I am so often tempted to live a life where my happiness is what is most important. But even when my desires are met – yet I still am selfish – the happiness is fleeting, momentary, and I am quickly consumed again with what others need to do to make me happy AND deep down inside I feel guilt – guilt at being all about me.

Selfishness doesn’t work. Nobody wins in the end. There is no fruit born in the lives of others or myself when I am selfish. Yet, the power of our selfishness is incredibly consuming. It is an intoxicating pill we long to take. Our mind says we deserve it. Our mind says people should treat us with respect and even admiration. Our mind says it is all about me. We need to see this mind for who it is – it is the old self. It is the mind of Adam, Eve, and Cain. It is the mind of Saul, the first king. It is the mind of Judas, Ananias, and Simon the sorcerer. It is the mind of evil.

For those who live according to the flesh, set their minds of the things of the flesh. . . To set the mind on the flesh is death. . . For this reason the mind that is set upon the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law – indeed it cannot, and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
parts of Romans 8:5-8

So if you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not
on things that are on earth, for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

Colossians 3:1-3

What Jesus has shown us goes against our human nature. It turns it upside down. We desire to get. Jesus calls us to give. We want to be served. Jesus served. We long to be first. He calls us to be last. We want to hit those who hurt us. He says let them hit you again. We want to hate our enemies. Jesus says love them. We want glory. Jesus invites us into humility. We want dwell upon ourselves, yet we are called to . . .

. . . whatever is true, what is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Philippians 4:8

Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death - even death on a cross.
Philippians 2:5-8

Have that mind - His mind.

A life of selfishness will be a fruitless life. Let that sink in. Believe it. If it is going to be all about you, then know in the end, it will have been all about you. You will have received your “reward.”

But, by the power of the Holy Spirit, our pursuit of Jesus will lead to a selfless and fruitful life – free of the nagging experience of guilt – free of the shallow happiness – full of the abundance and blessing Jesus promises when we follow Him and His model for life. Our joy will be complete. OTHERS will be blessed by Christ through us. This is life. It cannot be about me.

No comments: