Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Favorite Scripture Verse?

Choosing a “favorite” Scripture verse is difficult. I’m not sure if I can say I have a “favorite.” Scripture has spoken to me at different times in different ways when I’ve needed a word of encouragement or needed to be confronted with my sin, but most importantly Scripture consistently reveals to me who God is, what He has done, and what that means for my life.

Before I share what verses jump to mind, I want to acknowledge some concern in this area. There is the danger of making a “favorite” verse say something to us that God does not want it to say. For example, some Christians get caught up in the “health and wealth” gospel, believing that God has blessed them with prosperity and health because of their good behavior. They may find Scripture verses that seem to them to support this approach, but that is not the Gospel. So we need be careful to look critically at our interpretations to make sure they line up with all of Scripture. The most important way to evaluate our interpretations is through the lens of Scripture. Is my interpretation of a single verse supported and affirmed throughout all of Scripture?

Here’s a few of the verses that stand out to me. Romans 8:28 was my Dad’s favorite verse and therefore has meant a lot to me.

We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.

That no matter what life brings our way, we can be assured that God is working through the challenges to fulfill His plan for us. He doesn’t promise it will be easy or that we will be safe from harm, He promises to work in and through us “for good” to fulfill his purpose.

Another verse which consistently challenges me is Galatians 2:20.

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

I often need to be reminded that this life is not about me - that in essence what Paul is saying is that my old, sinful self needs to placed upon the cross and destroyed - that my life is lived not for me but for the one who “loved me and gave Himself for me.”

I am also challenged by I Thessalonians 2:8, as Paul describes his relationship to the people of the church in Thessalonica.

So deeply do we care for you that we are determined to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you have become very dear to us.

What does it mean to share myself? I don’t think it means to share who I want to be, but instead to share who I truly am - the good, the bad, and the ugly. I also believe this in an example of “therefore, go and make disciples . . .”. A crucial way to share faith with others is to let them into my life as I show interest and care for them. That’s what relational ministry is all about. I have to “earn the right to be heard” through my relationships with the people in my life. And to really share myself with people means I will share what is most important to me - Jesus Christ.

One note of caution - II Timothy 3:16 says,

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.


And Joshua 1:8 says,

This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth; you shall meditate on it day and night; so that you may be careful to act in accordance with all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall be successful.

The caution is to remember that all of Scripture is important. We cannot find a few verses we like and focus all of our attention on them. God speaks through ALL of His word. As we expand our knowledge of God, we get to know Him, as we, through the work of the Holy Spirit, immerse ourselves into all that God has revealed to us in His word. Can you think of any legitimate excuse for not being in Scripture? If we truly believe that the Bible reveals God and His plan for us, how can we live apart from it? And remember, it is not God who misses out because you are not in Scripture, you do. God really knows what is best for you, and His word reveals His plan and reveals Him. Let God show you who He is. In doing so, you will better understand who you are. If you are not taking time to be in God’s word, stop making excuses. Imagine all that God desires to reveal to you. And if you need help, encouragement or direction, don’t hesitate to ask for it. We all need help in this area, don’t we?

1 comment:

Doug said...

Good one's Chip, I think Dad's; espescially older ones have lots of wisdom from having been through many challenges in life.

My favorite verse(s) change depending on what may be going on in my life at any given time. Lately I really like First Peter 1:3-7

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

I had the honor of reading this at my grandmothers funeral recently.

I also like Psalm 46:10
Be still and know that I am God,